From the article: Great Summer Music Programs for High School Students
You'll find excellent summer music programs all across the United States, and our list of top programs is meant only as a starting point for exploring the options. If you know of a summer program that would help students develop their voice or instrumental skills, please share your recommendations below. Submissions are welcome from students, parents, teachers and staff who have close knowledge of summer music programs. Tell Us About a Program
Pacific Chorale's Choral Camp
- Pacific Chorale's Choral Camp—in association with California State University, Fullerton—is a one-week choral music intensive for high school students. Taught by professional singers and educators, the program will offer intensive training in vocal technique and music theory/musicianship. It will also offer opportunities to sing in men's and women's choirs, take private voice lessons and to participate in electives of choice. The Camp will conclude with a performance showcase, highlighting the entire week's work. For more information about the Camp visit: www.pacificchorale.org
- —Guest Pacific Chorale
Music courses for Independent Aritsts
- Creative Artists Elite, based in LA, are offering intensive music courses for singers, songwriters, musicians, producers and engineers aged 16-21. Set in a real-world environment, rather than a classroom, students write and record a state-of-the-art, commercially viable product in world-class facilities in the creative heart of Los Angeles. Students receive personal mentoring and guidance from some of the industry’s top pros, who take them through everything they need to become an entrepreneurial artist. The programs last 8 days, and discounts are available for those who sign up before 20 May. More details are available at www.creativeartistselite.com
Chicago Area Performing Arts Camp
- The Midwest Young Artists Summer Music Festival is a collection of youth programs organized by the top rated and multi-award winning Midwest Young Artists Youth Music Conservatory on the shores of Lake Michigan, in Highwood/Ft. Sheridan, Illinois. Programs include Jazz, Orchestra, Flute & Clarinet workshops, chamber music, voice, and more! visit mya.org/summer for more info
- —Guest Midwest Young Artists
Dublin International Piano Festival
- If piano is your passion check out the Dublin International Piano Festival & Summer Academy taking place August 1 - 9 2013. It's your chance to take your playing to the next level with intensive lessons, masterclasses and seminars. You'll have a chance to experience Irish culture while you're here and mix with an internationally diverse group of people in a nurturing environment. For ages 16 and up. Apply at http://www.pianofestival.ie. We look forward to welcoming you!
- —Guest Archie Chen
Zodiac Music Academy & Festival
- I didn't see this summer academy listed here (perhaps because they are launching their first season this summer), but my son is planning on attending the Zodiac Music Academy & Festival this summer (July 2 - 15). It is based in the South of France and features a pretty impressive faculty list. They offer private instruction, chamber music, masterclasses and performances. For any young musician who wants to experience Europe, and especially the South of France (I had a chance to explore that beautiful region in the late 80's!), this seems like a wonderful opportunity. I recommend you visit their website - www.zodiacfestival.com.
- —Guest DanielNYC
Interlochen High School Rock Camp
- My son attended this camp in 2012. When I dropped him off he was not happy - they have to wear uniforms, stay in very basic dorms and everyone else had been there for 3 weeks already. (Rock Camp is only 2 weeks.) He probably had the best experience of his life & is applying again this year. The standard of the final concert was astounding - beyond my expectations, & I felt privileged to see so much talent. The campus is basic and beautiful; the counselors are a fun group and really bond with the kids. My son (who has been playing and performing since 1st grade) got a lot out of it and recommends it to anyone who will listen. He enjoyed being with so many young kids who are passionate about rock music and really good at what they do.
Musica Vesuviana- Italy Music Camp
- A place where young American vocalist and instrumentalists can make music and immerse themselves in Italy's rich artistic culture. Musica Vesuviana offers an international summer music program for student instrumentalists and vocalists of high school age. The camp takes place at the Fondazione Passarelli in San Marco di Castellabate, Salerno, Italy. Musica Vesuviana's curriculum includes an eclectic mix of American and Italian music and musical styles, taught by American and native master teachers.
- —Guest Tino D'Agostino
Boston University Tanglewood Institute
- Excellent camp for musicians and singers of highest caliber. Students participate in Wind Ensemble, Opera program, Orchestra or the Piano program whilst studying with distinguished faculty. The most exciting part of the camp is Tanglewood Music Festival, which is a series of concerts which all BUTI students can attend for free if accepted into a program.
- —Guest Sun
New York Summer Music Festival
- NYSMF has a lot of different summer camps for different kinds of music. I went to thier orchestra camp a few years ago. It was really cool, and I got to meet a lot of different people. And they have camps and classes for all different instruments too. Their website is http://www.nysmf.org/index.html, it has a list of all the different programs they have.
- —Guest Eric