From the article: Great Summer Theater Programs for High School Students
Our list of summer theater programs for high school students doesn't do justice to all of the many excellent options out there. If you know of a program that you think would provide high school students with valuable theater experiences, please share your recommendations here. Submissions are welcome from students, parents, teachers and staff who have close knowledge of a summer program. Tell Us About a Program
I hire from 3 places
- I have to say as a professional Director, when I work with young actors I in general notice they come from 3 places. The UK (Bristol Old Vic), The Maggie Flanigan Studio, or Julliard. I am not sure if Bristol or Juliard have summer programs but I know The Maggie Flanigan Studio does. Ultimately you need to find a program that fits you and your needs. There are so many to choose from. I would stay away from places that have a high turn over of actors or accept just about anyone. They tend to be more about money then training. I also worry when a program (summer) doesn't have Master teachers. Ask who will you study with. Some programs hire out summer staff that are currently in school or non - professional working. If your going to pay for training even a summer program make sure the teachers are actually working too.
- —Guest Professional NYC Director
IRTWestside Experiment Young Actor's Lab
- Since 2007, IRT Theater has made a mission of hosting radically affordable, full-immersion development residences for emerging and established artists. An offshoot of IRT’s 3B Development Series, the Westside Experiment offers students the skills to create original devised theater in collaboration with a working theater company in residency at IRT. Students will explore and learn physical acting technique, movement, voice, and moment-to-moment acting choices. No prior acting experience necessary. Artists of all disciplines encouraged to apply. Bring an open mind and have it blown away! For more information:http://irttheater.org/programs/westside-experiment/
- —Guest Kori Rushton
Wesleyan Center for Creative Youth
- Excellent program, not only for theater, but musical theater, visual arts, etc. Students spend five weeks in residence at Wesleyan.
- —Guest Margie
BADA's Midsummer Conservatory Program
- My daughter attended the BADa MCP program for high school students this past summer. It is a 3 week residential program, where the students stay in one of the colleges' dorms at Oxford University. Wow! What an opportunity, and a life experience. My daughter went there knowing no one, and came back with 20 new friends. In addition, she gained knowledge and training in voice, movement, Shakespeare and theatre. She described the faculty as "genius" and she was busy and creative and in general very happy. The program consisted of classes, excursions, master-classes, and talks, as well as other activities to compliment the course. Its a very well organised and implemented course for teenagers!
- —Guest Rachel
- NYU has a summer workshop for music theatre that i went to. It's 3 weeks and was really helpful because it worked on performing skills in dancing, singing and acting.
- —Guest Kathleen