Directions: select the answer that best completes the sentence.
One might think that a great author's death would be surrounded by much ________, but the man actually died in ________.
Discussion: In this sentence, the phrase "one might think" and the word "but" create a well-defined contrast between the first word and the second. The sentence could be summarized as, "one might thing one thing to be true, but actually a second thing is true." The only pair of words to create a contrast that makes sense is "publicity" and "obscurity," choice (b).
- balderdash - nonsense
- equanimity - calmness; composure
- fanfare - a flourish; an attention-grabbing public display
- obeisance - homage; a gesture of respect (such as a bow)
- obscurity - darkness; the state of being unknown or hidden
- penitence - sincere regret for one's sins or wrongdoing
- publicity - the state of being public and open to general observation
- scandal - public disgrace
- surprise - an unexpected occurrence
- uncertainty - doubt