Directions: select the answer that best completes the sentence.
After all her effort, the writer was ________ to learn that her poem had been ________ for publication.
Discussion: This question doesn't give us a lot of information to go on. A couple different types of words could make sense in the blanks. She could be thrilled that her poem was accepted for publication. She could be angry that her poem was rejected. When searching for the best answer, we need to find two words that make sense. It doesn't make sense that a writer would be upset because her poem was approved, so we can eliminate choices (b) and (c). It also doesn't make sense that she would be happy because her poem was rejected, so we can eliminate (a) and (d). Choice (e) is the best answer.
- approved - accepted
- disallowed - refused; rejected
- dismayed - upset; alarmed
- distraught - extremely upset or agitated
- elated - overjoyed
- enthralled - captivated; charmed; enslaved
- recommended - suggested; presented as worthy
- refused - denied
- rejected - turned down; refused
- troubled - disturbed; bothered