William Paterson University Description:
Founded in 1855, William Paterson University is a public university that sits on 370 wooded acres in northeastern New Jersey, just 20 miles from New York City. Students at William Paterson can choose from 44 undergraduate and 22 graduate programs from the university's five colleges. The university has a 15 to 1 student / faculty ratio and an average class size of about 20. Pre-professional fields are particularly popular. The student body is diverse, and the university has a significant commuter population. On the athletic front, the William Paterson Pioneers compete in the NCAA Division III New Jersey Athletic Conference.
Admissions Data (2013):
- Percent of Applicants Admitted: 68%
- What Are Your Chances? (from Cappex.com)
- Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
- Total Enrollment: 11,414 (10,027 undergraduates)
- Gender Breakdown: 45% Male / 56% Female
- 82% Full-time
Scholarships for William Paterson University (powered by Cappex.com)
- Merit aid scholarships available at William Paterson
- $1,000 High School Class of '15/'16 Scholarship
- Get matched with private scholarships to help pay for William Paterson
Costs (2013 - 14):
- Tuition and Fees: $11,918 (in-state); $19,458 (out-of-state)
- Books: $1,600 (why so much?)
- Room and Board: $11,700
- Other Expenses: $2,362
- Total Cost: $27,580 (in-state); $35,120 (out-of-state)
William Paterson University Financial Aid (2012 - 13):
- Percentage of Students Receiving Aid: 87%
- Percentage of Students Receiving Types of Aid
- Grants: 62%
- Loans: 69%
- Average Amount of Aid
- Grants: $8,462
- Loans: $7,381
Most Popular Majors:
Accounting, Business Administration, Communication Studies, Elementary Education, English, Nursing, Physical Education, Psychology, Sociology
Transfer, Graduation and Retention Rates:
- First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 75%
- 4-Year Graduation Rate: 16%
- 6-Year Graduation Rate: 50%
National Center for Educational Statistics
William Paterson University Mission Statement:
mission statement from http://www.wpunj.edu/university/mission.dot
"The William Paterson University of New Jersey is a comprehensive public institution of higher learning with a mission that incorporates teaching, research and creative activity, and service.
Maintaining a tradition of leadership in general education and multiculturalism, the University is committed to promoting student success, academic excellence, and community outreach with opportunities for lifelong learning.
It offers rigorous baccalaureate, graduate degree, and certification programs for both traditional and nontraditional students.
The University's distinguished teachers, scholars, and professionals actively challenge students to high levels of intellectual and professional accomplishment and personal growth in preparation for careers, advanced studies, and productive citizenship in an increasingly global economy and technological world.
The University values diversity and equity as essential to educational excellence, with an obligation by everyone in the University community to create and maintain a climate in which respect and tolerance are recognized as part of the institution's commitment to educational quality."