West Virginia University Description:
Admissions Data (2012):
- Percent of Applicants Admitted: 85%
- What Are Your Chances? (from Cappex.com)
- GPA, SAT and ACT Graph for West Virginia University
- Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
- Total Enrollment: 29,707 (22,827 undergraduates)
- Gender Breakdown: 54% Male / 46% Female
- 93% Full-time
Scholarships for West Virginia University (powered by Cappex.com)
Costs (2012 - 13):
- Tuition and Fees: $6,090 (in-state); $18,868 (out-of-state)
- Books: $1,050 (why so much?)/li>
- Room and Board: $8,508
- Other Expenses: $1,971
- Total Cost: $17,619 (in-state); $30,397 (out-of-state)
West Virginia University Financial Aid (2011 - 12):
- Percentage of New Students Receiving Aid: 88%
- Percentage of New Students Receiving Types of Aid
- Grants: 73%
- Loans: 56%
- Average Amount of Aid
- Grants: $6,664
- Loans: $6,833
Most Popular Majors:
Graduation, Transfer and Retention Rates:
- First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 77%
- Transfer-out Rate: 29%
- 4-Year Graduation Rate: 34%
- 6-Year Graduation Rate: 56%
West Virginia University Mission Statement:
"Founded in 1867, West Virginia University is the flagship land-grant, doctoral degree-granting research university in the state of West Virginia. As such, the institution occupies a unique position within the state.
West Virginia University’s primary mission is to provide high-quality programs of instruction at the undergraduate, graduate, and professional levels; to stimulate and foster both basic and applied research and scholarship; to engage in and encourage other creative and artistic work; and to bring the resources of the University to all segments of society through continuing education, extension, and public service activities.
Opportunities to conduct pioneering research and scholarship help attract high quality faculty and students. Students and faculty work together to create exciting and productive paths for investigation and development. WVU nurtures these symbiotic interactions to build intellectual, social, and economic development for all of West Virginia.
WVU’s special responsibility is to seek out, challenge, educate, and help create opportunities for those West Virginia citizens who can benefit from its programs, especially those who have demonstrated high achievement or who possess excellent potential.
West Virginia University recognizes that diversity enriches the institution and the society it serves. The University is committed to social justice and to practicing the principles of equality of opportunity and affirmative action."