University of Minnesota Duluth Description:
Admissions Data (2012):
- Percent of Applicants Admitted: 78%
- What Are Your Chances? (from Cappex.com)
- Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
- Total Enrollment: 11,491 (10,346 undergraduates)
- Gender Breakdown: 53% Male / 47% Female
- 89% Full-time
Costs (2012 - 13):
- Tuition and Fees: $12,785 (in-state); $15,450 (out-of-state)
- Books: $1,200 (why so much?)
- Room and Board: $6,732
- Other Expenses: $2,368
- Total Cost: $23,085 (in-state); $25,750 (out-of-state)
University of Minnesota Duluth Financial Aid (2011 - 12):
- Percentage of New Students Receiving Aid: 86%
- UMD Scholarships (Cappex.com)
- Percentage of New Students Receiving Types of Aid
- Grants: 68%
- Loans: 66%
- Average Amount of Aid
- Grants: $6,317
- Loans: $7,67
Most Popular Majors:
Retention and Graduation Rates:
- First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 75%
- Transfer Out Rate: 34%
- 4-Year Graduation Rate: 28%
- 6-Year Graduation Rate: 54%
More Minnesota Colleges - Information and Admissions Data:
University of Minnesota Duluth Mission Statement:
"UMD serves northern Minnesota, the state, and the nation as a medium-sized comprehensive university dedicated to excellence in all of its programs and operations. As a university community in which knowledge is sought as well as taught, its faculty recognizes the importance of scholarship and service, the intrinsic value of research, and the significance of a primary commitment to quality instruction.
At UMD, a firm liberal arts foundation anchors a variety of traditional degree programs, outreach offerings, and selected professional and graduate studies. Active learning through internships, honors programs, research, and community service promotes the development of skills, critical thinking, and maturity sought by society. Demanding standards of performance for students, faculty, and staff make UMD attractive to students with strong academic potential.
The campus contributes to meeting the cultural needs of the region and serves as a focal point for the economic development of the region through community outreach and through an emphasis on the sea-grant and land-grant components of its program.
UMD significantly contributes to enhancing the national stature of the University of Minnesota by emphasizing quality programs central to the University and the distinctive mission of UMD within the University system.
Providing an alternative to both a large research-oriented university and to a small liberal arts college, UMD seeks students looking for programs that emphasize personalized living and learning experiences on a medium-sized campus of a major university."