Southern California Institute of Architecture Description:
The Southern California Institute of Architecture is an independent school of architecture in Los Angeles, California. The campus is located in the rehabilitated historic site of the Santa Fe Freight Depot, at the heart of the urban art district in downtown Los Angeles. The college takes an experimental approach to architecture education, emphasizing practical experience and encouraging undergraduate and graduate students to work together in a nonhierarchical environment. SCI-Arc offers one undergraduate program, a bachelor’s degree in architecture, as well as two- and three-year master of architecture programs and two postgraduate master of design research programs in emerging systems and technologies and city design, planning and policy. Students benefit from the flexible, nontraditional program both inside and outside of class, with 24/7 access to architecture studio spaces, a unique cultural environment and various student-led clubs, activities and social events.
Admissions Data (2012):
- Percent of Applicants Admitted: 80%
- What Are Your Chances? (from Cappex.com)
- Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
- SAT Critical Reading: 440 / 615
- SAT Math: 560 / 655
- SAT Writing: 465 / 590
- ACT Composite: 21 / 27
- ACT English: 17 / 28
- ACT Math: 23 / 27
- ACT Writing: 6 / 7
- Total Enrollment: 528 (278 undergraduates)
- Gender Breakdown: 67% Male / 33% Female
- 94% Full-time
Scholarships for SCI-Arc (powered by Cappex.com)
Costs (2012 - 13):
- Tuition and Fees: $35,176
- Books: $10,760 (why so much?)
- Room and Board: $10,888
- Other Expenses: $3,472
- Total Cost: $60,296
SCI-Arc Financial Aid (2011 - 12):
- Percentage of New Students Receiving Aid: 38%
- Percentage of New Students Receiving Types of Aid
- Average Amount of Aid
- Grants: $5,916
- Loans: $2,000
Most Popular Majors:
Graduation and Retention Rates:
- First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 83%
- 6-Year Graduation Rate: 88%
National Center for Educational Statistics
Southern California Institute of Architecture Mission Statement:
mission statement from http://www.sciarc.edu/portal/about/mission_statement/index.html
- "We examine everything about the built environment-from design and materials to culture and experience.
- We ask provocative questions to provoke new thinking and prompt new theoretical constructs.
- We are international leaders in creating the future of architecture; our students and faculty come from throughout the world.
- We invite the community into our school and take our classes and ideas into the community; we are a nonprofit cultural center that is woven into the fabric of Los Angeles.
- We create designs that change how people interact with each other and their environment. We understand that the power to change lives is at our fingertips."