Southern Methodist University Description:
Admissions Data (2012):
- Percent of Applicants Admitted: 54%
- GPA, SAT and ACT graph for SMU
- What Are Your Chances? (from Cappex.com)
- Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
- Total Enrollment: 10,893 (6,249 undergraduates)
- Gender Breakdown: 49% Male / 51% Female
- 96% Full-time
Costs (2012 - 13):
- Tuition and Fees: $41,750
- Books: $800 (why so much?)
- Room and Board: $13,539
- Other Expenses: $2,600
- Total Cost: $58,689
Southern Methodist University Financial Aid (2011 - 12):
- Percentage of Students Receiving Aid: 78%
- Southern Methodist University Scholarships (Cappex.com)
- Percentage of Students Receiving Types of Aid
- Grants: 74%
- Loans: 32%
- Average Amount of Aid
- Grants: $24,947
- Loans: $7,747
Most Popular Majors:
Retention and Graduation Rates:
- First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 90%
- 4-Year Graduation Rate: 68%
- 6-Year Graduation Rate: 80%
Southern Methodist University Mission Statement:
"Southern Methodist University’s mission is to be a leading private institution of higher learning that expands knowledge through research and teaching. Among its faculty, students, and staff, the University develops skills and cultivates principled thought and wisdom. The University is dedicated to the values of academic freedom and open inquiry and to its United Methodist heritage.
To fulfill its mission the University strives for quality, innovation and continuous improvement as it pursues the following goals:
- To enhance the academic quality and competitiveness of the University.
- To improve teaching and learning.
- To strengthen scholarly research and creative achievement.
- To support and sustain student development and quality of life.
- To broaden global perspectives.
- To advance the University through select, strategic alliances."