Iowa State Description:
Iowa State University typically ranks in the top 50 public universities in the United States, and the school has particular strengths in science, engineering and agriculture. ISU's College of Business is also popular among undergraduates. Located in the small city of Ames, Iowa State is about a half hour drive from Des Moines. ISU's strengths in teaching and research have earned it membership in the Association of American Universities. On the athletic front, the Iowa State Cyclones compete in the NCAA Division I Big 12 Conference.
Admissions Data (2013):
- Percent of Applicants Admitted: 83%
- What Are Your Chances? (from Cappex.com)
- GPA, ACT and SAT graph for Iowa State
- Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
- SAT Critical Reading: 460 / 620
- SAT Math: 530 / 680
- SAT Writing: - / -
- ACT Composite: 22 / 28
- ACT English: 21 / 28
- ACT Math: 22 / 28
- Total Enrollment: 30,748 (25,553 undergraduates)
- Gender Breakdown: 56% Male / 44% Female
- 95% Full-time
Costs (2013 - 14):
- Tuition and Fees: $7,726 (in-state); $20,278 (out-of-state)
- Books: $1,043 (why so much?)
- Room and Board: $7,721
- Other Expenses: $2,430
- Total Cost: $18,920 (in-state); $31,472 (out-of-state)
Iowa State Financial Aid (2012 - 13):
- Percentage of Students Receiving Aid: 88%
- Percentage of Students Receiving Types of Aid
- Grants: 76%
- Loans: 55%
- Average Amount of Aid
- Grants: $6,666
- Loans: $6,586
Scholarships for Iowa State (powered by Cappex.com)
- Merit aid scholarships available at Iowa State
- Get matched with private scholarships to help pay for Iowa State
Most Popular Majors:
Accounting, Animal Science, Biology, Civil Engineering, Elementary Education, Finance, Journalism, Kinesiology, Liberal Arts, Management Science, Marketing, Mechanical Engineering, Psychology
Transfer, Graduation and Retention Rates:
- First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 86%
- Transfer Out Rate: 23%
- 4-Year Graduation Rate: 38%
- 6-Year Graduation Rate: 68%
National Center for Educational Statistics
Iowa State Mission Statement:
mission statement from http://www.public.iastate.edu/~strategicplan/
Create, share, and apply knowledge to make Iowa and the world a better place.
In carrying out its mission, Iowa State will increase and support diversity in the university community. Diversity enlivens the exchange of ideas, broadens scholarship, and prepares students for lifelong, productive participation in society.
Create knowledge through world-class scholarship in teaching, research, and creative endeavors.
Share knowledge through outstanding undergraduate, graduate, professional, and outreach programs.
Apply knowledge to improve the quality of life for current and future generations.
We accomplish our mission:
- through innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement,
- with honesty, integrity, and professional ethics, and
- with sensitivity and responsiveness to the needs of our state, nation, and the world.
- land-grant ideals,
- a diversity of ideas, peoples, and cultures,
- intellectual freedom,
- leadership, and
- excellence in all we do.