2011 saw a lot of interest in public universities thanks in part to the weak economy. Only Harvard was more popular on About.com than Berkeley this past year.
sara.atkins / Flickr
In order of popularity, the 10 most viewed public universities on About.com in 2011 were:
- UC Berkeley (Berkeley, California)
- UNC Chapel Hill (Chapel Hill, North Carolina)
- UCLA (Los Angeles, California)
- University of Michigan (Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Penn State (University Park, Pennsylvania)
- University of Texas Austin (Austin, Texas)
- University of Virginia (Charlottesville, Virginia)
- University of Georgia (Athens, Georgia)
- Texas A&M (College Station, Texas)
- Georgia Tech (Atlanta, Georgia)
The same ten schools made the list as in 2010 (see the 2010 list), but their positions changed. Berkeley, Michigan, and Georgia all moved up in the list, and Chapel Hill, UCLA, Texas, and Georgia Tech all declined in their relative popularity.